Tuesday, February 16, 2010

TBS Days

Here is a list of some of the things I have been doing in Tiputini, it´s not all inclusive, but it is a start:

Sunday:
5:30 AM Float Trip on Rio Tiputini, lots of birding as well as swimming
Pitfall Trap Setting with Sheena and Steve
Lecture about Rainforests
Brazilian Porcupine siting behind the kitchen around 10 PM

Monday:
Boat to Lago Trail, hike to the Laguna and canoed the laguna where we saw Caimans, Hoatzins birds and Yellow Rumped Caciques
Colleted Pitfall Traps and identified insects
Tried to go frogging, found a huge Cane Toad and Dan (a primatologist working at TBS) brought in a Smokey Jungle Frog that is huge!

Tuesday:
5:30 AM walk to the canopy tower to go birding, unfortunately it was really, really foggy and we only could see birds that were in the Ceiba tree that the tower is built on.
4 Monkey species in one day: Spider, Howlers, Squirrel and Golden Mantled Tamarins
Hike on Matapalo and Numa trail to see plants and animals
Finished a puzzle with Jean!
RAIN and a little bit of humidity release

I keep thinking and trying to comprehend this idea and fact that I am here in the Amazon Rainforest. Not only that but that TBS is adjacent to Yasuní National Park which, as of only a couple of weeks ago has been declared the most biologically diverse place on the entire planet! What a mind twisting idea! It´s strange though, when I go hiking into the forest that I forget about the vastness of this place. I´m on a marked trail and never more than 11 kilometers from our camp where internet is possible if I wanted it, and TV and real coffee are on hand. Then I begin to reconsider the wildness of this place. The looming tfacts that if one were to get lost, ending up in the hands of certain indigenous folks could equal your demise. Not to mention the fact that there is all kinds of biodiversity out there that are forces to reckon with in and of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment